Hot Air Balloon Ride
Experience the amazing landscape of Dambulla from up above. Hot air balloon season in Sri Lanka starts in November and goes on until April.
Where can I go Ballooning and what will I see?
At what time can I go on a Balloon ride?
Who can go on Balloon rides?
Will I get a refund if the ride is cancelled?
What is the hot ballooning season in Sri Lanka?
How safe are balloon rides?
What should I keep in mind?
The flights take offfrom Kandalama / Dambulla.
During your ride, you will be able to see beautiful forests, lakes and of course the Sigiriya rock fortress. Unfortunately Balloons don’t fly directly over Sigiriya due to security reasons.
Hot air balloon rides are available in the morning. Departure from the hotel (in and around Dambulla, Sigiriya and Habarana) is usually at 4.45-5 a.m. You will be picked up from your hotel by the organizers, or you could come on your own to a designated location. For prices and other packages please contact us.
Balloon ride starts around 6.15a.m. Hot air balloon ride is a 1 hour flight.
The entire process takes approximately 3 hours.
Only those mentioned below are not allowed on hot air balloons-
- Heart patients and pregnant mothers are not allowed on balloon rides, due to the change in air pressure.
- Children over 6yrs can enjoy the balloon rides, but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
If the flight is cancelled due to operational or weather related issues, your money will be refunded in full.
November to end April is the hot ballooning season in Sri Lanka
The pilots who operate balloons hold commercial licenses obtained from the department of Civil Aviation in Sri Lanka and are duly trained. Moreover, they go through a full medical check-up once a year to keep their license valid.
The landing points of hot air balloon rides are uncertain. Therefore, a troop on the ground constantly follows the balloon to ensure safety while landing.
Basic first-aid facilities are available on the ride, but if an emergency health situation arises, the balloon will land immediately and the crew will take the patient to the nearest hospital for necessary treatment.
The crew keeps a close check on the weather forecast prior to a ride. In addition, the pilots are also trained and experienced to assess weather conditions.
- Make sure you wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- If you land near the hotel, you can enjoy a walk back to the hotel without waiting for the crew to arrive at the landing spot. In such situations comfortable attire and shoes will be very helpful.
- Sri Lanka is a tropical country, so do not forget to bring sun block, hats and sun glasses.
- If you tend to get dizzy easily, then it is recommended that you take medication before the ride.
- Please wear casual clothes and bring a cat or cap.
- Also we advise you to wear closed toe shoes.
- Children under 16 should be accompanied by an adult.